Soil Latest News
- NEW - Soil Management for Potatoes, updated 2013
- Soils for Profit project shows extent of soil compaction on South West farmland 26-11-13 26-11
- EU considers withdrawing Soils Directive proposals 03-10-13
- Precision farming options pushing profit 22-07-13
- Potato growers face challenging cultivations - 01-02-13
- Aerworx aerator can tackle even the driest clay -23-01-13
- Soyl shows variable cultivation depth controller -22-01-13
- Mixed Reaction on Peat -NFU - 18-01-13
Soil Management Best Practice
- The Potato Council have updated the 'Soil management for Potatoes' guide to help with the understanding of the practical principles of soil management.
- Scottish Soils Database and website. This is the first stop for data and information on one of Scotland’s key resources.
- Thinksoils helps farmers and farm advisers assess soil and recognise problems of erosion and runoff. The thinksoils guide can be accessed here. There is also a Quick guide that gives information on assessing soils to avoid erosion and runoff.
- The Soil Protection Review (SPR) is part of Cross Compliance and can be completed online which is quicker, easier and reduces your chances of an inspection.
- You don't have to complete the SPR online, instead you can keep a copy on your farm. Either use a spreadsheet or download and print the latest version (SPR 2010).
Guidance on managing the risk of:
Potato Council Soil Research Projects
- R467 Soil Platform for Potatoes
- R452 Soil Workability and Structural Stability
- R459 Improving Cultivation Practices in Potatoes
- R444 Managing cultivations and cover crops
- More soil related research projects located in the Knowledge Hub
Links to other Organisations and Publications
- Catchment Sensitive Farming - Catchment Sensitive Farming (CSF) delivers practical solutions and targeted support to enable farmers and land managers to take voluntary action to reduce diffuse water pollution from agriculture to protect water bodies and the environment.
- www.Defra.gov.uk - The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs is a government department that makes policy, and legislation covering the environment, agriculture, sustainability and rural communities
- www.Environment-Agency.gov.uk - an Executive Non-departmental Public Body that aims to protect and improve the environment, and to promote sustainable development.
- www.Leafuk.org - Linking Environment and Farming, promoting sustainable food and farming. Leaf have also published Simply Sustainable Soils six simple steps for your soil to help improve the performance, health and long term sustainability of the land.
- www.NaturalEngland.org.uk - Natural England is the government's advisor on the natural environment. They provide advice on how best to safeguard England's natural environment
- www.naturalresourceswales.gov.uk/ - Natural Resources Wales has taken over the functions of the Countryside Council for Wales, Environment Agency Wales and Forestry Commission Wales, as well as some functions of Welsh Government. It aims to protect and improve the environment, and to promote sustainable development in Wales
- www.sepa.org.uk - The Scottish Environment Protection Agency is Scotlands environmental regulator and their main role is to protect and improve the environment