The Retail Market
Total potato sales are worth £2.3bn at retail (excluding crisps and snacks), with the fresh sector accounting for £1.4bn. The retail market is dominated by the major multiples, with the top 5 accounting for over 77% of sales. Fresh potatoes account for 1.4% of sales from the multiples – and by volume are the largest category in fresh produce.
Latest market report - Potato Retail Report August 2014
- 40% of fresh potatoes were sold on promotion in the 12 w/e 20 July 2014, compared to 14% in the same period last year. With average prices down -9.9%, sales by value in the latest 12-week period saw a -12.3% decline.
- Sales by volume for fresh potatoes in the latest 12-week period (-2.7%) shows that the year-on-year decline has eased compared to the same period last year.
- Volume sales of pre-packed Medium Standard Plus potatoes (Maris Piper, Desiree and King Edward) continue to accelerate, increasing 26.2% in volume in the latest 12-week period due to a strong increase in buyers.
- Chips and other frozen potato products performed well in both value and volume terms in the latest 12-week period.
- Sales by volume of savoury snacks strengthened again (+8.0%).
This monthly report is produced on the retail sector, based on KANTAR World Panel data. This report is available free-of-charge to levy payers. Email email@example.com to be added to the circulation list. To view the latest Potato retail report please visit the retail section of the knowledge hub.
Potato Council activity
The primary focus of Potato Council activity is on the consumer, which benefits all routes to market. Working with the major retailers and their supply chains does present a major opportunity to reach the consumer.
- Research: Potato Council provides bespoke insights into the potato shopper which can be used to drive value and grow volumes.
- Promotions: Potato Councils campaigns provide a platform for retail activity, linking activity in store or the through promotions. National Chip Week (February) and Potato Week (October) provide two focus points. There is also TV activity in early summer which can present another key opportunity.
- Resources: for smaller retailers Potato Council has a range of posters and promotional literature available which can be used to help promote.
Bespoke research has been commissioned to better understand shopper behaviour, as well as working with industry experts. Please contact us if you have a specific question, the following information is currently available:
- Research was undertaken in 2010 in the five major retailers to better understand how shoppers behave. The research includes:
- The shopper decision tree
- Time spent in store
- Key differences in approaches for convenience versus larger store formats
- February 2011 Retail Conference focused on optimising the fresh potato category. Copies of the presentations from the day are available free of charge to levy payers, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org